Snow day soup and sandwich

I'll admit that I haven't been terribly inspired in the kitchen lately. I blame this mostly on the weather. Winter is never my favorite season, but this year has been particularly brutal with all of the snow, and as we speak another slushy foot is burying Philadelphia. Justin and I have spent much of 2010 inside, but instead of holing up in the kitchen with new recipes I'd rather hibernate, stopping only to eat something hot and comforting and generally loaded with carbs.

Today is no exception. After some work and a work out this morning, all I could think about for lunch was my favorite snow day snack growing up; grilled cheese with tomato soup. When the craving hit me, my first thought was that I didn't have any tomato soup. But wait a minute... I did have a can of tomatoes, garlic, onion and spices. That's enough for a simple tomato soup, right? About thirty minutes later I was dunking my grilled cheese into homemade tomato soup.

{ The dynamic duo. On the sammy I added sauteed spinach for some daily green and Dijon mustard for a little kick }

And that folks, is what I call a good snow day.

6 comments:

  1. Cat - that looks delish! What a great idea with the spinach on the grilled cheese - just brilliant! Please share this simple recipe for your Tomato Soup with me - do you use any cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WAS delish Nicole - just what I wanted. I can definitely share the method I used, though this version was SUPER simple (both in taste and to make) which was perfect with the grilled cheese, but you would probably want to jazz it up a little if you were going to eat it solo. As for the cream; since I was planning to dunk a quarter pound of cheese in the soup I left it out, but I bet it would be great otherwise. Let me know if you find a good way to doctor this up!

    Simple Tomato Soup for Grilled Cheese dunkin'
    adapted from Orangette

    1 T olive oil
    1 medium red onion
    1 medium garlic clove
    1/2 t kosher salt, or to taste
    1/8 t fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 t ground coriander, or to taste
    1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes

    Warm the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and coriander and stir well. Strain the tomatoes, and add the juice to the saucepan. Then seed the tomatoes, chop them coarsely, and add them to the pan as well. Add 2 cups water, and stir to combine. Simmer for 30 minutes, then taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.

    Serve hot, and dunk away.

    Yield: 4 servings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for an excellent blog !! I discovered some useful info and will recommend your weblog for all my buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sautéed spinach with garlic and a squeeze of lemon is a simple formula that lets spinach shine and will never go out of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been browsing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article
    like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.

    Here is my weblog - Herbal party pills

    ReplyDelete